Weierstrass Institute for Applied Analysis and Stochastics (WIAS) engages in project-oriented research in applied mathematics, particularly in applied analysis and applied stochastics, aiming at contributing to the solution of complex economic, scientific, and technological problems. WIAS approaches this aim integrally, pursuing the entire problem-solving process from the interdisciplinary modeling over the theoretical mathematical analysis of the model to concrete numerical simulations.
Research at WIAS focuses on the following main fields:
- micro-, nano-, and optoelectronics,
- optimization and control of technological processes,
- phase transitions,
- stochastics in natural sciences and economics,
- flow and propagation processes in continua,
- numerical methods of analysis and stochastics.
Other institution names:
- Weierstrass institute for Applied Analysis and Stochastics
- Weierstrass-Institut für Angewandte Analysis und Stochastik