The Kemerovo State University was established in 1974. It was preceded by the almost semi-centennial history of development of several educational institutions which had prepared the base for the University foundation: Kemerovo Pedagogical Technical Secondary School (1928–1949),
Kemerovo Teachers' Institute (1949–1953), and Kemerovo State Pedagogical Institute (1953–1974).
The Kemerovo State University (KemSU) was established in 1973 on the basis of the Kemerovo Pedagogical Institute. KemSU is a leading educational and scientific center of Kuzbass with a complex, branched throughout the entire region structure.
17 educational laboratory and administrative buildings with the total space 120,000 square metres; 20 faculties; 70 chairs; the 17-th in Russia Chair of New Information Technologies (the UNESCO Chair); 37 specialities; over 10 000 full-time students; about 21,000 students in all.
Over 900 faculty members, including: 35 Academicians and Corresponding Members of RAS and other academies; 80 Doctors of Science, Professors; 380 Candidates of Science, Senior Lecturers, 17 persons are &quit;Honoured Workers"; about 500 post-graduates and doctoral students; 5 Councils on Theses.