The Institute was established in 1959 as Computing Centre of research character. The founder of the Computing Centre was Prof. E. Arins. At present the director is Prof. J. arzdins.
The staff of the Institute consists of 150 researchers, engineers and software developers, including 7 Dr. habil., 31 Dr. and 20 MSc. Prof. J. Barzdins and Prof. R. Freivalds are Members of the Academy of Sciences of Latvia, but Prof. A. Kalnins and Prof. U. Raitums are Corresponding Members.
Annual number of scientific publications is 30–40, presentations in international conferences 25–30.
Apart from research, the Institute has always been involved also in commercial software development.
The Institute is also one of the largest Internet service providers in Latvia (LATNET). Besides that the Institute houses the Master's Degree Studies in Computer Science at the University of Latvia.