To conduct research in basic and technological sciences; to undertake nationwide integrated surveys on natural resources and ecological environment; to provide the country with scientific data and advice for governmental decision-making, and to undertake government-assigned projects with regard to key S&T problems in the process of social and economic development; to initiate personnel training; and to promote China's high-tech enterprises by its active involvement in these areas.
Vision: CAS strives to build itself into a scientific research base at advanced international level, a base for fostering and bringing up advanced S&T talents, and a base for promoting the development of China's high and new technology industries. By 2010, CAS will have about 80 national institutes noted for their powerful capacities in S&T innovation and sustainable development or with distinctive features; thirty of them will become internationally acknowledged, high-level research institutions, and three to five will be world class.
Guideline for Running CAS: Catering to the national strategic demands and aiming at the world science frontiers, efforts will be made to promote original innovation in scientific research and the innovation and integration of key technologies, so as to scale the heights of world science and technology, and make fundamental, strategic and forward-looking contributions to China's economic reconstruction, national security and sustainable development.
- Academy of Opto-Electronis, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Institute of Electronics, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Institute of Mathematics, Academy of Mathematics and Systems Science, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Institute of Systems Science, Academy of Mathematics and Systems Science,
Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Institute of Theoretical Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Key Laboratory of High Temperature Gas Dynamics,
Institute of Mechanics, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Shanghai Institute of Optics and Fine Mechanics, Chinese Academy of Sciences