Institute of Mathematics was organized in 1965 (from 1965 to 1992 it was Institute of Mathematics and Mechanics, from 1992 to March 8, 1999 it was Institute of Pure and Applied Mathematics, since March 9, 1999 it is Institute of Mathematics).
There are 168 persons work at the Institute, including 25 persons at the expense of over and above budgetary means. Among 112 Scientific employees of the Institute there are 2 aca-demicians and 4 Corresponding members of the National Academy of Sciences, 21 Dr. Prof. and 49 Ph.D., 2 USSR State Prize winners, 2 Honored Science and Engineering Workers of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
The principal scientefic fields under research are as follows: analysis, differential and partial differential equations, algebra, mathematical logic, probability theory, mathematical statistics, computing mathematics and mathematical modelling.
The employees of the Institute are the awardees of the International Gumbolt's Grant, Inter-national Chorezmi Prize, Soros Foundation, INTAS, American Mathematical Society, ISTC, CNRS of France and others.
In 1998 the National Committee of Mathematics of Kazakhstan was founded in the Republic on the basis of the Institute (since 1994 Kazakhstan is a member of the International Mathematical Society, since 1998 — member of the International Mathematical Society of Asian Countries).
Other institution names:
- Institute of Mathematics and Mechanics, AS of KazSSR
- Institute of Mathematics and Mechanics, Kazakhstan National Academy of Sciences
- Institute of Mathematics, Informatics and Mechanics
- Institute of Mathematics, Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan
- Institute of Pure and Applied Mathematics
- Institute of Theoretical and Applied Mathematics, Kazakh Academy of Sciences