The University of Latvia named at that time "The Latvia Higher School" was founded on September 28, 1919 on the basis of the former Riga Polytechnic (founded in 1862). In 1923 this school received its now resumed name – the University of Latvia (Universitas Latviensis).
In the period between 1919 and 1940 the University of Latvia was the greatest centre of higher education, science and culture. The former building of Riga Polytechnic in 19 Raina boulevard serves as the symbol of the University even nowadays.
In the pre-war years it was possible to gain higher academic education not only at the University of Latvia but also at the Conservatoire of Latvia and Academy of Arts. The University of Latvia is the first of classical universities in the history of Latvia and follows the slogan "Scientiae et Patriae".
In the course of time such higher educational establishments as Latvian University of Agriculture, Latvian Academy of Medicine, Riga Technical University separated from the University of Latvia and became well-known centres of education and research.