The International Erwin Schrödinger Institute for Mathematical Physics (ESI) was established in January 1993 in the very building where Erwin Schrödinger spent his last years in the Pasteurgasse in Vienna's 9th district and is very near to the University's Institutes for Mathematics and Theoretical Physics. In Summer 1996 it moved to its new home in Boltzmanngasse 9.
ESI was founded with the aim of providing a meeting place for leading experts in Mathematical Physics and Mathematics in the international scientific community, nurturing the development and exchange of ideas not only in the international arena, but also in Austria through its affiliations with Austrian universities.
Through its geographical location in the heart of Europe the Institute aims particularly to stimulate intellectual exchange between scientists from Eastern Europe and the rest of the world.
To date 2952 scientists have visited the Institute, contributing 1750 preprints. The total number of scientific programs organized up to now is 57.
ESI is program- and invitation-oriented. Its visiting positions are normally not open for direct application. ESI welcomes applications for programs: see the Guidelines for submission and organization of programs at ESI.