The university was founded in 1829, and celebrated its 175th anniversary in 2004. Because of the increasing importance of the technical sciences and the associated studies of the students, from 1876 the university was known as the Technical College. This was awarded the promotional rights for the technical disciplines in 1900. The development of the courses of study at the Technical College of Stuttgart led to its renaming in 1967 as the present-day "Universität Stuttgart".
Источник информации: http://www.uni-stuttgart.de
Since the end of the 1950's, a part of the university has been located in the suburb of Vaihingen. Most technical subjects (computer science, engineering, etc.) are located in Vaihingen, while social sciences, architecture, and similar topics are still located in the city center campus.