The university adopted its current name in 2004.
Currently, there are 2300 educators and researchers, 1100 administrative personnel and 26 000 students. Available topics are humanities, science and medicine.
Formerly based at the Jussieu Campus in the 5th arrondissement, the university has moved to a new campus in the 13th arrondissement. The first buildings were brought into use in 2006.
The university uses many facilities in Paris, and two in other parts of Paris or its area.