The Institute of Cytology and Genetics (IC&G) was among the first ten founded within the Siberian Branch of the USSR Academy of Sciences in 1957. The IC&G was originally organized by N.P.Dubinin, with studies addressing the basic issues of genetics. During the two years of his directorship (1957–1959), N. P. Dubinin worked out goals for research at the IC&G and assembled its early staff. Academician D. K. Belyaev served continuously as the Director of the IC&G from 1959–1985. He made significant contributions to the establishment of the IC&G and applied much efforts to the restoration and advancement of genetics in the USSR. In 1986, Academician V. K. Shumny was appointed Director of the IC&G.